Thursdays here at Bookishwives means we are doing a throwback to books we have read and loved, and that we want to make sure that other people will love too!
This week’s pick is Of Poseidon by Anna Banks. It’s book number one in the Syrena Legacy, was published by Feiwel & Friends in 2012 and is 324 pages (in hardback).
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he’s heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma’s gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom…
Told from both Emma and Galen’s points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did. I think I read it in less than 3 hours and I was super glad that I bought the two first books at once so I could pick up book number 2 immediately. But let’s condense this into 5 reasons for why you should read this book.
- Mermaids. Come on, mermaids are so freaking cool!!!
- Galen. Hubba hubba and come to mama. Do I need to say more?
- Emma is super cool and so very likable. I have a tendency to find faults in female characters easily, but I loved Emma. If she was real I would try very hard to be friends with her.
- The whole Syrena world and its history is really interesting and fascinating. Banks has managed very well to renew the whole mermaid thing and it feels very fresh and unique.
- Banks writing is amazing and the book alternates between being serious and hilarious. Btw, the first chapter will make you bawl your eyes out. Just a little heads up.
Basically Erika’s already mentioned everything but still 😉
- Mermaids. These are awsome mermaids okay. And they don’t brush they’re hair with forks. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them did.
- It ha it’s own mythology basically. It’s awesome!
- It’s funny. I laughed, like crazy embarrassing laughing.
- Emma doesn’t take shit.
- GALEN! Oh sweet lord Galen. He’s too adorable. And yummy.
So that’s our pick this Thursday. Check back next week for another awesome book!
Have an awesome day/night where ever you may be! // Kayla & Erika